If anyone knows me at all, they know that I love to sing and write. But they also know that I hate sharing those things with people. I don't like people to hear me sing or read my writing, because I'm not ready for the criticism. Constructive or not. I'm not ready for someone to tell me what I need to fix. It's a selfish thing, don't get me wrong. But I just like things the way they are. Now I'm trying to use it as a way to get better! If I don't know what I need to fix, how will I ever get better?!
I had a friend tell me this week that I worry too much about other people's opinions and that I let fear take over my life. It's the absolute truth. I'm always afraid that I'll look stupid, sound stupid, or mess up in front of people. I was also reminded that I'm not the only person who has the same fears... but you overcome them when you keep going at it and don't give up when things get hard.
With writing and singing, there is always going to be room for improvement. You can make your voice better and stronger by singing higher and practicing ALL.THE.TIME. You can make your writing better if you persist. I have come to realize I can't get to the top without starting at the bottom. I have to crawl before I walk. Or as my father says, "You have to put the cart before the horse." Thanks, dad.
I'm beginning to find the place where I can share my work again. I'm going to punch fear in the face and allow others in, even if I have to swallow my pride. What's the point of having a blog if you don't want other people to read it, and really understand who you are, and how you're feeling? It's a lot easier said than done, but that's something I'm going to be working on. My first baby step is to share this and I'll go from there.
:)
No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!