Pages

Colombia!

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Hola!!! :) I haven't written for a weeks or more, because I was in COLOMBIA! :-D Got back Tuesday morning at 2am. Yikes! But other than that, it was a fantastic trip! It was an amazing experience and God helped me realize things that I've taken for granted. It really sunk in to me while I was there, that here in the US I am living in a complete luxury! I live in a somewhat "big" house while at the orphanage/boarding school, they live in a house half as big as mine, and twenty-five people are living in theirs. Five people live at my house. Now, that doesn't sound right, does it?! Plus, our culture against South America's cultures are very different; the way they dress, not doing a lot of laundry, etc. The list goes on and on. 


God has changed my perspective on things; not to be wasteful, be thankful that I get all the food that I get, the clothes and shoes I have & wear, the bed I sleep on, showering in hot water, etc. Because kids there in Colombia and other places don't get all the stuff I get; their own laptops, TVs, iPods, or expensive items like these. It's crazy how excited they got with just punch balloons and neon glow bracelets! I thought it was incredible that for so little they got, they were totally excited. It warmed my heart, and seeing them smile and have a good time, made my trip even all the more worth it to me. :) 
When my family and I arrived there the first time, the kids all ran to us, and hugged us. I felt so loved from the time I got there, and continued to feel that way throughout the entire week. They greeted and welcomed us, and just fell in love with all of my family. I sure fell in love with them, too! It was hard to understand them and couldn't comprehend at all what they were saying, but I do know that through their hugs, kisses, compliments, and pictures that they loved me and said all the words I needed to hear... and I know that I loved them, too.


I realized the reason the kids were always hanging on me and just trying to have my attention is because they needed someone to love them, and wanted to feel loved. All week, they wanted me to take pictures of them or take pictures with me, and were always tugging on my arms to play ball with them. It was cute, tiring, and definitely worth my time! I fell in love with all the kids all week, and it broke my heart to leave them! I couldn't believe I had to part from them, because they consumed all my time, energy, and love for the past week! I was torn and so were the kids when we left, and watching the tears stream down their faces, took all I had in me not to jump out the window of the car I was driving away in, and just stay there. 


I know for now that part of my heart will always be left in Santa Marta, Colombia and that I will never forget my time spent there; how much I did change and there is still so much more I want to change! :) 


Hope you enjoyed reading, because I loved writing about it!! :) If you would like to know more about my trip in detail, shoot me an email, and I'd be happy to tell you anything :) Thanks!


Love and God Bless,


~Megan

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

sku said...

So awesome!!! I've been wanting to do mission trip work for a long time now, and now I want to answer God's call even more! Great job obeying your Lord, Megan. :) I hope I get an opportunity like that soon.

Megan Isabel said...

Thanks, Luke!! Yes, definitely do a missions trip. It's TOTALLY worth it! I promise :) Thank you sooo much. Yes, I hope you do, too! I'll be praying for you.. because I hope you can honor God by doing that. It will really open your eyes... at least that's how I experienced it. God Bless!