Pages

New Year's Resolutions for 2017

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

For the last 10 years, my dad and I spent a lot of time talking about goals, ambitions, and resolutions for the coming year. It was like pulling teeth to get me to sit down and write them out because I didn't see the point of it. However, this year, I feel like I really see the point of setting goals. I feel like I've accomplished something that way. I like to look 10 years ahead and think that I have accomplished something during my 20's. The other day when I sat down, I thought, "What do I want the year 2017 to look like?" Here is the list I came up with:

  • Blogging more consistently. Writing is my biggest passion in life. I know that that is one of my strengths, if my only one. I've known that since I was young. I am able to express myself better on paper or on my blog than I am when I talk in person. When I write, I speak from the bottom of my heart. I don't take words lightly. What you say and how you say them to me means a great deal. Words are the closest way to get to my heart. My goal is to write weekly, if not daily. 

  • Get more organized. In the past, I have relied on my own brain to remember things. Well, I am human, so I forget things. I know that I will forget things in the future, but I would like to prevent it better. The way to do that is to make better use of my resources such as phone timers, calendar, reminder, planners, etc. There is nothing like crossing things off of a To-Do list! Another way I'd like to get organized is to keep my living space tidy. I have a tendency to come home after my night shift and sleep until I have to wake up for my next shift. While I love my sleep, I feel no sense of accomplishment sleeping for hours on end. So this year I want to keep my place looking tidy and neat.

  • Save money. As much as I don't want to admit it, I love to spend money. I like to have things and it is instant gratification. I don't like to wait for things that I really "want" and that has put me into trouble when it comes to money. This year, I would like to change that. I want to be a better steward of the riches I have been given.  I plan to put money away in my savings account and build that up for more important things, including retirement. I want to "live like no one else so I can live like no one else," --Dave Ramsey. While it is nice to have money, I will only count it as a blessing. It can be taken away as fast as it given. 

  • Bettering myself. I have a list of allergies that I never take into consideration when I sit down to eat. I know in the back of my mind that I shouldn't eat those things because they make me sick or I just forget (yes, I forget a lot) to look at the labels. But this year, I am planning on making good use of my crockpot, preparing and cooking homemade meals, and trying to eat in moderation. I have always been guilty of saying that I'm going to eat right and work out, but it never happens. I want to keep my word on that, because eating right is so important and nourishing your body in the right way. There's nothing wrong with eating out some of the time, but it should not be an every day, every week kind of thing. So this year I want to make it a point to eat mostly at home and try to hit the healthier items on the menu when I do go out.

  • Read more books. I used to read a lot when I was younger, but I let that one slip. After watching Gilmore Girls over again last year, I realized that books are an entirely different world. (I made it a point to mention Gilmore Girls cause I love that show and it makes me start reading again) Reading not only expands your vocabulary, but it also helps you paint a picture in your own mind about what the story is telling you. That's what I've always done when I've read, but I haven't been able to find a book lately that has left me hooked. I'm definitely on the lookout, though. This year is about finding my love for books again. 

  • Taking more pictures. I have always had a passion for picture taking. I have taken silly ones, serious ones, and also some vacay pics over the years. Sometimes when I go back to my parents house, I will pull out all the old photo albums from my baby days, younger days, and not so younger days, and reminisce about how far I've come. That's why I love taking pictures. I love looking at all the memories that encompass my entire life. It tells a story about who I was, who I am now, and someday who I will be. I know in 20 years, at 40 years old, I will appreciate all of the photos I take now. So I plan to take more this year and post them.

  • Worrying less about things I can't control. I am a bit of a worrier. I let things get to me when there is nothing that can be done about it. For instance, my parent's house burned on the first day of this year. When I got the call, I was shocked and upset to say the least (still am). I went to work and it was all I could think about. I couldn't let it go, I couldn't stay focused and that night at work was one of the most distracting shifts I'd ever worked. But I can't add a single hour to my life for all that worrying, as it says in the Bible. So, I want to just slow down this year. Take deep breaths and take it all in. 

That was my 2017 New Year's Resolution list! I'm hoping that I stick to these as best I can and I'm hoping to write more this year, period. Happy New Year and Happy Reading :)


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!